Abington Handyman Services Northampton
T-01604 628262 M-07890 539175
Steve Matthews. 41 Monks Park Road, Abington, Northampton.
Before moving to the new Sixfields Stadium in 1994, Northampton Town had previously only had one home ground, the County Ground. The Club, nicknamed the Cobblers after the town's long association with the shoe industry, had played at the site since their formation in 1897 and their admittance to the Midland League the year after. A small Main Stand was constructed prior to the First World War with terracing to either side. In 1924 a new Main Stand was constructed that ran the full length of the pitch, but this was mostly destroyed by fire in 1930 and had to be re-built. This covered stand had seating to the rear and terracing to the front. The stand survived until 1985, but following the Bradford City Disaster, it was deemed to be unsafe and then demolished, leaving only the terracing behind. At both ends of the ground were terraced areas. The Hotel End was covered after the Second World War, whilst the other end the Spion Kop, remained uncovered until the ground was finally closed. A small temporary Main Stand was erected in 1986, which sat astride the half way line.
Tuesday, October 12th 1994, saw the last ever league match to be played at the County Ground. This saw a 1-0 defeat for the Cobblers, at the hands of Mansfield Town (attendance 4,993).
Domestic property repairs and maintenance Northampton / Flat pack furniture assembly